Sunday, September 19, 2010

My MANDATORY Trip To Dubai

I found out that there is an educational conference each year for every member of the HCT faculty.  The new teachers, of which I am obvioulsy one, were required to take a bus to Dubai.  That's not such a big deal for me since I don't have a car yet.  However, the bus left at 6 am and I had to catch a cab.  Nothing is on the my street at 5:15 in the morning.  So, what would you do?  Call the cab of course.  The trouble with that is the dispatcher sent the taxi to the wrong address.  Remember, I don't have an address and live in the desert on a street with no name...  After 20 minutes or so in 90 degree weather, the cab arrives and gets me to the school in the nick of time.

Dubai is about an hour an a half, depending on traffic, or so they told me.  Now, picture this: a highway not unlike GA400 heading north.  After a while, there are some traffic lights, but not many.  What would youthink causes a slow down on a highway?

1)  Heavy traffic
2)  Construction
3)  Traffic lights
4)  An Accident
5)  Wait for it.....Ready?  SPEED BUMPS!

You read that right.  From Dubai to Abu Dhabi there are no less than 6 speed bumps on each side of the DIVIDED highway.  They don't believe in traffic lights near Dubai.  They prefer.... Ready?  ROUNDABOUTS!

Roundabouts in the middle of a major thouroughfare!  As the locals say: Inshallah.

Later I'll tell you about the conference.

God Bless and take care!

No comments:

Post a Comment